Everyone loves a beautiful lawn but is your lawn pet- safe?

As our lives get busier and busier many homeowners and institutions have lawncare services. These services, however, often use pesticides and herbicides to control unwanted pests and weeds. Unlike their guardians who can take their shoes off, our pets lick their paws after playing on the lawn. They catch their balls, chew on sticks and roll around in the grass ingesting the harmful chemicals through their skin and mouth.

Pets are much more vulnerable to these poisons than you might think. Although most lawncare services tell you to keep your children and pets off of newly treated lawns the residual effect is still a concern. Runny noses, red eyes, diarrhea, vomiting, skin and coat problems and a compromised immune system are all potential signs that your pet may have long-term exposure to harmful chemicals on a lawn. Allergies are not the only causes of these symptoms.

Cat on GrassHere are a few helpful tips to make your lawn pet safe this season:

Ask about organic fertilizers

Water your lawn infrequently but deeply

Cut the grass frequently and remove the bagger attachment

Rinse your pet’s feet and toys after playing outside

Ask your lawn care company about their chemical solution. Is it EPA approved?

Get detailed information on these chemicals and testing resultsDog sleeping on Grass.